Friday, November 11, 2005

What do I want to be when I grow up?

If you know me then you know that I am attending a local college to earn a degree in Elementary education. I am currently taking my first EDU class and have been placed in a kindergarten class for my observation fieldwork. I thought this class would be a blast, never did I think that half way into it I would be re-thinking my career choice. I love children and the thought of having my own classroom filled with little learners but, when I was asked to get in front of those kindergartners I felt really uncomfortable and out of place. I am a very shy person and I don't know if I will be able to break out of my comfort zone so to speak. I desprately would love to be a photographer but I don't want to waste the money I've already accumulated in financial aid and student loans. I'm at the crossroads right now and I am really struggling with making a decision. Any comments from you would help, or anyone who knows of local schools that carry a photography program please let me know. How many people really know what they want to be when they grow up?:)

1 comment:

M said...

When I used to go to my older daughter's class to read to them, I found I really enjoyed being the center of attention for a classroom of 4 year olds. It took me a while to get used to it, but it made me feel empowered, important and hey I was the center of attention. I am usually shy and don't like to talk in front of a bunch of people, but kids this young don't judge. They don't think I am fat, or my hair looks odd..all they worry about is the book I read. Maybe you can find a peace in this role, even if it takes some practive. I would be interested to know if it has gotten any better for you.